Saturday, March 15, 2008

The Berkeley Hippie and People's Park

It's not like Berkeley and San Francisco are that much different. In both places you have every kind of person out there ... so diverse and so beautiful, yet my friends in San Francisco insist that I am "Sooo Berkeley!" They always reinforce this by calling me a hippie, labeling me "Berkeley", and insisting that I take a shower ... Who needs showers anyway? I take pride in my Berkeley roots, as I'm from here (and Palestine, of course) born, raised, and now as a scholar. They perpetually label me and even introduce me to new people as a Berkeley hippie! Come on guys ... that's so unfair. (I don't really mind this label, but sometimes they take it to extremes!) I don't have dread locks, I'm not sleeping in the trees (though I support the people sleeping there's cause and give them food or beanies, blankets, etc. when I can), and I do make it to the shower every so often. I'm not saying all hippies are what I just described, but that is the common stereotype.
So yesterday at this event I was a part of planning, we had an excess of food left over and didn't know what to do with it. I said load me up, let's give it to homeless people. I'll leave it in People's Park. They, not knowing much of Berkeley, asked me what People's Park was. People's Park is a park built by and for the people and lits of homeless people reside there and the non-homeless of Berkeley always drop off free food there. So, I went to People's Park carrying trays of food. The homeless people I walked by were talking to me, "Good Morning," "How are you," and other things of this sort. Someone asked if that was free food, and I said "YES! Free Food!" As soon as I set the food on the picnic table, I see this flock of socializing homeless people briskly making their way toward me. I smiled and left before I was trapped in a mob of homeless people. I felt bad that some of the food was soggy due to the rain falling on the bed of my truck where I stored the food on the drive back to Berkeley and People's Park. I was happy that at least the food got there right though. They seemed to appreciate it. Besides, you know what they say ... beggars can't be choosers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoying reading your blog and love the funny/insightful posts. I especially love the title "Wayward Middle Eastern Girls". I could qualify as one too! I have a friend who is living in the Bay Area who'd really appreciate your blog. I write for a blog dealing w/ migration, diaspora, and identity issues. Please have a look:

http://intersections.wordpress.com

As a researcher on the Iranian diaspora, I am exploring second generation issues within the Iranian diaspora- specifically how they utilize blogs and websites. I also am interested in Queerness within the Iranian diaspora as exhibited online.

Anyway, I'd love to keep in touch with you ladies.

Best of luck:
Sanaz

prince of kabob said...

Hi Sanaz,

You are most definitely a Wayward Middle Eastern Girl! Please do keep in touch. I added Inter-Sections to our links, and we shall certainly keep it on our radar. We ourselves are an academia-loving bunch and are eager to see our communities represented in research - and thankful for those who are committed this goal.

Best of luck with your research, and if there is anything we can do to assist you, let us know - our e-mail is waywardmideasterngirls at gmail. Please also look at one of our links, Rigged Outfitters, a highly noteworthy fashion line owned and operated by the brilliantly wayward Parisa Parnian (a queer Iranian participant of the diaspora herself). Parisa also runs a fashion-focused blog on www.ourchart.com.

Best,
Bianca (and the rest of WMEG!)